You are in the wet tropics
"Always expect the unexpected and enjoy the differences"
THE GUESTS COMPENDIUM and information folders in the glass cupboard provide you with our suggestions of what we, the owners have enjoyed. Our mangers 'Ulysses Getaways' will be pleased to assist your every need and act as your concierge.
You can be over whelmed with things to do but we find its often great to just 'Hang out'
- BEACH SWIMMING generally April through to November. (check with the life guards) Other times are between supervised net areas or in our pool.
If you want more gentle water try the small secluded beach at the end of Island Point past the Police Station
- 4 MILE BEACH activity is a holiday in itself. Each end of the beach is quite different with the southern end meeting the Mowbray river. You are welcome to use our Kayak and beach gear which includes table chairs and Beach Umbrella, cricket etc. Please bring it up off the beach each day and leave it at the big Ficus tree, and on the lawn when you vacate.
- BIKES can be hired and they will deliver them to you. Store them in the Service yard for security.
- RESTAURANTS are mostly excellent but research what you want as there are many surprises and options.
- The YACHT CLUB is one of our favorites as its on a great part of the river, the food is very good and varies week to week. Its not expensive and the kids can play on the lawns, and its out of the tourist area and generally used by locals.
- We also frequent "THE BEACH SHACK" and "OTS " gourmet deli (check opening times and book) as we can walk there, or ride our bikes. Its on Barrier Street
- The World Heritage GREAT BARRIER REEF has long and short trips with snorkel or scuba diving or just swimming or looking. It is a must do.
- The MARINA and old wharf area is continuously active with restaurants, boats, and activity.
- CHARTER BOATS for fishing and sailing or excursions. We often go out on our first day to stock up with fresh fish for the week.
- The BIRD PARK and Hartley's Crocodile farm are all well worth a visit.
- The SUNDAY MARKETS are legendary and a must do.
- MACROSSAN street is famous for its old pubs, food, tropical fashions and cosmopolitan life style. Its great to just walk the street.
- The MIRAGE RESORT is a 20 minute walk north along the beach. Its great for a meal a drink or a swim in their many pools. Kids love it. It is a tribute to its creator Christopher Skase.
- HISTORIC and Heritage tour of the town is informative as its over 100 years old and was once fully isolated from civilisation.
- Golf at Port Douglas can be played on tv,'0 classic courses with hire clubs. They are both very good. Mossman course is cheaper and Palm Meadow near Palm cove is excellent.
- THE BUMP TRACK is unknown to tourists and was the only way over the mountains once it was discovered. Its history is amazing. Its a 20 minute drive through Mowbray valley and about a 2 hour steep return walk to the river on the top of the mountain.
THE WET SEASON November to April
We love the wet humid weather as it reminds us so much of holidays in Asia. We love the fast flowing rivers, the water falls, the wetjungle, and to just sit and watch the density and power of the rain. We can comfort ourselves in the pool or under the outdoor ceiling fans or just go and get wet in the rain and we never need air-conditioning at night even though we have it. Its a great experience we think.
A GREAT DAY OR TWO IN YOUR HIRE CAR OR COACH TOUR
**The small historic town of Mossman is a beautiful 15 minute drive through cane fields with the amazing Daintree rain forest backdrop.
You will visit
- Mossman township and the worlds only steam driven sugar refinery crusher.
- Beautiful Wynabeal Valley.
- Historic Daintree Village.
- Trip on the Daintree River with the crocks.
- Swim and walk the Mossman river and gorge. Its quite special.
SILKY OAKS LODGE, through Mossman, for lunch in the Tree Tops above the Mossman river is one of the best lunch experiences anywhere and have a swim or Kayak in the river, or maybe walk the river trails after lunch. You will never forget it. This is another lifetime experience.
THE DAINTREE RAIN FOREST ( oldest on the planet ) is a world experience you will never forget, but do it slowly and enjoy the differences.
**COOKTOWN via the Coast, the Daintree Rain forest and Cape Tribulation.
You need an AWD or a coach tour. It can be done in one day but its best to spend a night there as Cooktown is a fascinating part of Australian history. Come back on the inland road.
Our Toyota RAV does it easily, but not in the wet season. You will not be sorry.
AND THERE IS MUCH MORE
Follow the links below
Web links to local area activity:
Back Country Bliss Adventures - Daintree adventure tours, river drift snorkelling tours, walking and hiking tours.
Adventures Port Douglas - 4WD outback tours, motor bike tours, kayaking, snorkelling, Dive, Cruise, Kite Surf, Parasail, Hot air balloon, White water raft, Cultural Tours, and so much more.
Vertical Adventures Port Douglas - Helicopter tours, mountain bike adventures, kayaking, great barrier reef
Skyrail Rainforest Cableway - ride the cableway above the rainforest canopy, descend to the forest floor for a walking tour, combine the cableway with Kuranda Scenic Railway to create an unforgettable day tour.
Tourism Port Douglas - Things to do, places to eat, shopping experiences, places to stay.
Daintree Discovery Centre - Experience the rainforest, go on skywalks in the canopy, history and Indigenous Culture of this ancient environment, prehistoric history and animated dinosaurs.
Jungle Surfing Canopy Tours & Night Walks - Tour the Daintree on zip lines or go on a torchlight adventure to see the rare tropical wildlife that comes out at night.
There is every restaurant
"Always expect the unexpected and enjoy the differences" the tropics demands it as everything happens more slowly.
Please read our recommendations in the GUESTS COMPENDIUM and information folders and speak with the managers who act as your Concierge.
There is so much to do, if you wish or just being here is of great comfort.